Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, December 28, 2007

Its been a while and too many things to say

Its been some time since my last post and a few things have eclipsed everything else thats been happening the year round. A few days after my last post, I got severe cramps on the left side lower abdomen and slightly panicked, we ran to the hospital. The doc suspected a scar thinning and kept me under observation while mentally preparing us for an emergency C-section anytime that day. Luckily for me, by afternoon the pain was gone and so they concluded a cramp and not scar thinning and let us go free!! I've been a bit more careful about bending, lifting and sitting in odd positions after that!
Another very very important and psyching incident happened on Christmas day. Kaustubh had been suffering from fever the past one week and we took him to the doc early 25th morning. He asked us to keep giving crocin every time he has fever and wait for another 2 more days before starting antibiotics. Now, by 5 in evening his fever still hadn't subsided and we were due for another round of crocin by 7 in the night. Karthik was carrying him when his eyes suddenly rolled up, hands and legs started shaking and his head was rolling back and forth without any control. Karthik and I were screaming 'kautu' 'kautu' at the top of our voice as though the level of volume can somehow make the nightmare go away. The din woke up my sleeping mom and she came running out to catch us both shouting and patting the unconscious baby. While I called up the doc in panic, Karthik and mom ran with kautu to the car and sped away. Without taking a cell in hand. Later I found that kautu had gone blue in the face and his hands were stiff. My mom, in panic had done the right thing of giving him mouth to mouth resuscitation at the back seat while Karthik was driving, screaming and crying at the same time. Kachi was crying for him to be taken too and I was crying miserably for my child. He say be so broken down and stopped immediately. I took him and my Hanuman Chalisa book and sat by the pooja room crying and singing all at the same time. I was imagining Kautu's smile, his voice everywhere and praying with all my heart and waiting for the cell to ring. But when it did, my hands were shaking and it took some courage to lift the call. Karthik had been to the emergency of the nearest hospital and they had put him on oxygen mask and given an injection. Kautu was breathing normally, and was either asleep or unconscious, but the situation was not serious. Thats when my breathing turned normal and I rested my hanuman chalisa after half an hour of singing and crying. He had suffered from Febrile seizure which normally occurs due to increased body temperature. We transferred him to a bigger hospital that evening itself. My uncle came over and I went with him to the hospital. Karthik and I stayed back with him in the hospital that night, infact, he was there for a full two days. Some investigations, an EEG were all normal. An infection was found to be the cause of the fever and he was started on antibiotics for that. I too suffered from fever, chest congestion and sinus in the hospital and the ENT prescribed the same antibiotics for me too. All's well that ends well. We now need to be really careful anytime he gets fever till he is 3 years plus, cause once this convulsion happens, there is increased possibility of it happening again.

An experience we will all remember for a lifetime, talk about for a lifetime and with all this, how can we not but treat the kids as though they are the most precious things in the whole world? Now when I see both of them running around and playing, my mind automatically goes back to that incident and a small thank you is send heavenward for making it end up like this.

7 comments:

Timepass said...

That was really scary. Hope he is doing well now. happy new year

~nm said...

OMG! Thats such a terrifying experience and am soooooooooo glad that all is well now! Really really glad!

Hope you are doing good and so is the baby in the tummy!

Love to both the boys and wishing you and your family a very happy, healthy and wonderful new year!

IBH said...

Oh dear...am glad that the boy is fine and hey you take care.....all the best wishes for the entire family.....

mnamma said...

That was so scary KP. Madhu suffered a febrile seizure due to high temperature when she was 2 years and I can never forget the day spent in the emergency room in my whole life - one of the worst days in my life. It is good to hear that Kautu is back to normal. Take care of yourself and the boys. A very happy,properous and healthy New year to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hai Krishna priya,
That sounds really scary. I can imagine what you have gone through. It happens very often in kids when they are running a fever. Iam glad everything went well. Take care of yourself. Wish you all a healthy and happy newyear.

Krishnapriya said...

hi timepass,nm,mnamma,ibh...happy new year to you too. Wishing you all a very prosperous new year!!
Smriti...my pig stye is the same as ever. do let me know if you are volunteering for the clean up.

Unknown said...

Hey just read this post. My son suffers from febrile seizures nd has had five so far. According to the pediatric neurologist I consult, the likelihood goes down by 6, by in some cases can stay till nine and in rare cases continue. Not to scare you, but to keep you alert even after he crosses three...
It is the scariest experience any mother could have. God bless.