Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, August 6, 2007

Pro-choice...

I am definitely pro-choice..in that, you have a choice whether you want to conceive or not, not whether you want to retain it or not. For us, knowing that we have our hands full presently, and that we definitely want a second attempt for a girl child, it was just a matter of deciding when, and the fact that I have a PCO problem made our mind for us. The earlier the better. So, we waited for a year and then didn't mind it whenever it happened.
But does the rest of the world think so? A prominent doctor in a prominent hospital we went to, to confirm the pregnancy propped this question to us the moment I showed her the self pregnancy kit and told her that we are parents to one year old twins..."First tell me if you want to keep it". Wow! It was quite a shock as that was the last thing on our mind. Here we were sitting elated because I had conceived without any doctor intervention especially when my previous gynec was convinced I would need another set of follicle study and the paraphernalia to conceive and here was this lady...asking us in that harsh and totally unfeeling voice if we want to keep 'it' or not! We never went to her after that. The very next day we took an appointment with another doctor in the same hospital who thankfully didn't react the same way. A relief for us..for, we really didn't want to hunt hospitals down looking for a humane doctor.
And what about the reactions of others? I somehow think the main attitude was..."Does she really need this after having two boys?" Two is the mantra these days and no one could understand my need to conceive once more. There are relatives very close to my husband and me who have not congragulated us even once or mentioned this fact when they come visiting! I do all the house work, cooking, looking after the kids and not once will they talk about the pregnancy, or if my morning sickness is causing any trouble...sorry guys..not talking of it will not take it away! And then, there are others, like an elderly friend of my mothers who said that you should not conceive till till you first kid is atleast 2 years old..and proudly went on to tell me how she had two abortions after her first kid...and for no reason other than that her first baby was just one plus and she doesn't want the added burden of another right then. Solid enough reason to take a life? I am a strong believer in god. What he has given, he alone has the right to take. We can prevent..thats our choice..but after that, its no longer in our hands. Infact, more sordid stories started coming out from relations and friends once I told them I am pregnant..another friend of mine in office had an abortion when her first child was a year old..and why? cause she was already having issues in office and didn't want her career to get affected again. Then why not take care, godammit? Why be careless and then take a bloody decision? Well, I do truly believe in divine retribution and the lady who promoted abortion and got two herself lost her husband at a very tender age..I am really sorry for her, but I believe that we reap what we sow..and nature has a way of getting back at us.
This post might be a bit harsh, but, I have certainly gotten to know a few things I would have been better off not knowing and gives me a relief to vent it out at this forum. No matter how difficult things are for us now, and we know that they are going to be worse in the year to come, we are jolly well glad that another kid is on its way and Karthiks and my love for each other and the sheer joy we get by being with our kids is enough to take us through it all. We just choose to enjoy every minute we get with the kids..every minute with each other..and in fact, every minute of the day..so, won't you say its a wise choice we made??!!

Edited to add:
I think I am biased by the fact that I had a tough time conceiving the first time round ..and for an entire two weeks, spent time with dozens of wanna be mothers undergoing IVF. I saw their trauma and empathized with them so much that a baby has now become something very sacred..something that has to be worked for. And thats why we were so surprised, shocked, elated and grateful when I became pregnant out of the blue this time!! Maybe if I was not exposed to the other side of it, the side where people have been praying for a baby for years on end and suffering untold miseries, emotional and physical, I would not be so harsh on others who take the personal choice of ending it. But I truly well understand, as Anitha points out, that a kid who is not wanted should not be brought into this world by unwilling parents, but here again, we are sympathizing with the kid, not the parent. Is there truly anything that will make you sympathize with a parent that decides to let go of a life? The only other acceptable reason can be finances. But don't all strata of society bring up kids? If a life was truly important, we would definitely make the best efforts despite being financially tight. Lifestyles might have to be compromised, but it is just an inconvenience, not an impossibility. I can understand, but shall still be judgmental about couples who decide to abort because, somehow, every reason when you rip it apart, still boils down to either selfishness, an unwillingness to compromise and an aversion to physical pain. I know it is their decision, my feelings are not going to matter a bit, but, this blog, being my outlet, lets me vent out the steam inside and guys, please lets argue it out..is there something I have missed out that can shake the conviction I have?

21 comments:

Miniyamma said...

Congratulations! I hope that you have an easier pregnancy this time and you are blessed with a beautiful baby girl who will have not one, but two big brothers!
Why is it that people never realise the fact that we are no longer kids, but adults with an ability to think for oursleves!
Like you said, all that matters is your family, your kids and your husband. As long as you have your husbands support and love, don't bother about any one else.

Anitha(Nikki's mom) said...

Congratulations! I have been reading your blog for quite sometime and this is the first time I am commenting. I too have PCO and I fully understand your elation at being able to conceive without any medical intervention. I think you are rather harsh on people who choose not to "keep it". I know one of my friend who made that choice once (she has 2 babies now) and feels guilty for it every single day. It is a very tough decision, everybody has their own reasons for keeping it or not, but one thing is for sure, they live with that decision & it's consequences for their life.

Rohini said...

Wow! Congrats!

I don't agree with your views though - I think it is better if unwanted babies didn't come into the world, whatever the circumstances under which they were conceived. Though I have to agree that your aunt and her reasons do sound frivolous...

To each their own, I guess

Krishnapriya said...

miniyamma...I too hope I have a better time this pregnancy!! So far its been great!

Anitha & Rohini..I know I was being rather harsh, but don't you think that somehow, a lot of reasons do sound frivolous? If we make a mistake, shouldn't we be the ones paying for it, rather than an innocent who has every right to live as much as you and me? Also, we deem it ok to kill something because it can neither talk nor respond to us, but would never dream of touching a hair of a baby once born..why? After all, the fetus is just nine small months away from being a baby. I sometimes think that educated people go in for it in a hurry..shocked by the fact that they are pregnant again and definitely don't want the extra complications in their already time pressed life. But once you sit down and think, its not so difficult. Raising a kid and two and more is much like a picnic where you have some rainy days and sunny days..any consequence can be faced with a lot of courage..at the most what can happen? Our lifestyle will change, we will be more hard pressed for time and money..but at the end of it..some 10 years down the line..imagine never having to live with guilt..but infact, enjoying the n number (of course, n > 3 is a feat I can't think of!) of kids around you!!!
Tell me what you feel.

Asha said...

It's your decision. Don't let others discourage you. Enjoy your pregnancy.

And yes, if people don't want a child at a point of time, they should take care not to conceive rather than going for an abortion later on.

Mommy said...

Congratulations!!

timepass said...

People around us always tell the reverse of what we feel!!! that has been my general experience too.. If we say this they will say that and vice versa.. You are happy with this decision, thats what shd matter to you.. What say??

~nm said...

What a horrible doc! You know as everyone says, "Each of us have right of way to think" but being in a profession that first doc was she should have some basic courtseys/manners to talk.

Glad that the other doc was good. And for those kind of relatives, how much we try to ignore I know its not totally possible. Hate those kinds..really really hate!

Wish you a good healthy pregnancy and a smooth landing for the new one!

Anitha(Nikki's mom) said...

Krishnapriya,

I agree with all you said. If I were in your situation, I would have made the same decision that you made. My family including my husband are non-vegetarian, I became a vegetarian purely by conviction (love for life). No birthcontrol is 100% reliable & there are people who get conceived inspite of taking all the precautions. I am not supporting people who are careless and go to the doctor for abortion. I am just not being judgemental on others who decide not to keep. Only if husband & wife are fully convinced that they want to have the child, they should go for it. Bringing a baby into this world who is not loved or less-loved than his/her siblings( I have seen this personally. The father in that house never liked the 3rd son because he came into this world by accident) is worse than not bringing the baby in the first place. Many people decide not to keep because of financial reasons, they absolutely cannot afford to provide for one more person. What I am trying to say is it is upto the husband & wife to decide whether or not to have the baby. The rest have to respect their decision and express support or happiness depending on the decision.
Ignore what others say and enjoy your pregnancy!

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

Ofcourse. Congratulations ! Here's to the little girl you are hoping for !

shweta said...

Congratulations !! I really wish you all the luck and hope you have easy preganancy and wondeful sweet healthy girl !!

Anonymous said...

Why was there a need for another baby?? That too when you already have 2 kids. It is going to be a rocky ride for you. Pray that you don't have a girl because going by your history of PCOS and weight gain your daughter will also most defnitely get it.

Anitha(Nikki's mom) said...

Krishnapriya,

Hope I was not harsh in my reply to you. Was just bringing in another perspective for discussion. I wanted to make one more thing clear. I am NOT for medically terminated pregnancies beyond 8 weeks for whatever reason. That is when the embryo becomes a foetus.
Arguments aside, Wishes for you to have a wonderful baby girl and a smooth pregnancy.

Krishnapriya said...

Thanks for your wishes everyone!!
This comment is esp for the
Anonymous: The need for another baby? Where is it written that you should have only two? It is ones own perception on how many children you want. As for population increase...I am increasing the educated population for which the country should be thankful. As long as my kids decide to contribute to my country and the world in that order, no one should have a problem! And anyways, if it is a girl child and she also has a PCO problem, no issues. It is not life threatening..and in fact she can look up to me for guidance. So,
would you please leave aside your judgment and try praying for a girl? Not that it matters much what you are praying for!

Lavs said...

Hey I know you. Aren't you Krishnapriya from controls?97 batch? Congratulations on twins and another one on the way. You are indeed lucky. I have PCOS too and now taking medication to assist in conception.Lets see when i get lucky!

Chickoo said...

Twin mom,
Dont bother what others say, its your life and your decision alone that matters. Congratulations!! on your pregnancy. You will have a beautiful and healthy baby girl who will have two handsome brothers to dote on her :)

mnamma said...

Krishnapriya,
Congratulations!I have been here once or twice and I enjoy reading your blog. Also I am a mommy of tiwns too and I can relate to so much of your experiences! I have exactly the same thoughts like you on this topic and was disgusted with a close relative of mine who had elected to abort a child. But like Rohini and Anitha says we should also look at the circumstances.

Cee Kay said...

Congratulations! And here's hoping you get a baby girl!!

I agree with you - take precautions if you don't want another baby. Take double precaution (pill+condoms etc.) if you absolutely don't want one. But if you do get pregnant, make room for one more.

I have seen the other side too - the desparate struggle to have a baby. I have decided not to have any more for varius reasons, but if I were to get pregnant accidentally, I would make room for one more.

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

Just disgusted by the anon who wrote that. What an awful person. How would it be if I said, that I hope (s)he never has any kids so that (s)he does not pass on this kind of nasty behavior to the children.

Sick people inhabit this world. I am praying that you have a healthy cute baby girl !

Priyanka said...

Hi,
I just wanted to share this article which i read, when I read your blog....

A worried woman went to her gynecologist and said:

'Doctor, I have a serious problem and desperately need your help! My baby is not even 1 yr. old and I'm pregnant again. I don't want kids so close together.'

So the doctor said: 'Ok and what do you want me to do?'

She said: 'I want you to end my pregnancy, and I'm counting on your help with this.'

The doctor thought for a little, and after some silence he said to the lady: 'I think I have a better solution for your problem. It's less dangerous for you too.'

She smiled, thinking that the doctor was going to accept her request.

Then he continued: 'You see, in order for you not to have to take care of 2 babies at the same time, let's kill the one in your arms. This way, you could rest some before the other one is born. If we're going to kill one of them, it doesn't matter which one it is. There would be no risk for your body if you chose the one in your arms.

The lady was horrified and said: 'No doctor! How terrible! It's a crime to kill a child!
'I agree', the doctor replied. 'But you seemed to be ok with it, so I thought maybe that was the best solution. The doctor smiled, realizing that he had made his point.

He convinced the mom that there is no difference in killing a child that's already been born and one that's still in the womb. The crime is the same!

Anjum said...

I dont agree with you that its a crime to decide to terminate a pregnancy. Sometimes, you never know what the circumstance of the other couple is. Sometimes it happens that inspite of birth-control couples become pregnant too quickly after their first and its not only finances that make them decide to terminate the pregnancy. The woman has already made too many sacrifices in her career and normal life for her first child and is not ready to go through it all over once again and so soon. Its her and her husband's choice. They want a different life where they think that what they do is important enough, like their work. Ofcourse an abortion if it hurts a life, is a difficult choice to make but noone knows for sure that the fertilized egg is feeling pain or not during an abortion. The egg before getting fertilized also is alive and yet every month it dies as a natural cycle. We dont worry about it so much then why do we think its a crime to let a fertilized egg to die? You are absolutely right about feeling that people have no right to ask you why you are keeping the child after having two already but its equally fair for you not to question why others are not keeping their pregnancy if they dont want to.