Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A diary entry..of doubts and fears

When I hear of how children are like clay and we, the parents are the hands that mould them, it fills me up with a lot of fear and misgivings. What if I have moulded them wrong? What if the way I am raising them, as against the wishes of their grandparents (who forever want the kids to be raised the way we were, the traditional Indian way of running behind them with food, letting them watch TV to their hearts content, sleeping with them both during day and night and feeding them milk as many times as they want in the night) turns out to be wrong?
Both my husband and I have wanted the kids to be independent. We love it when they eat on their own, when they take their bottle of milk and sleep without being sung lullabies for an hour. We feel great when we take them to a restaurant and they sit with us and eat without attempting to get on the table and sweep everything to the ground. But the grandparents differ. In fact, my mother feels that the emotional bonding between me and the kids will be less because I don't sleep with them in the night! What?!! Here I am, working from home, managing to spend most of their waking hours with them, when, my parents left me with my grandparents from when I was 3 months old to go to work. So, where is the justice in her statement? On reflection, I told her that because she didn't get the mornings with us, she was making up for it by having us sleep with her and dad till we were atleast 5-6 years old. Here, my kids are pretty stable and contended and I have no issues in them sleeping alone, as, when they wake up, be it morning or night, I am there right at home for them. And about running behind the kids to feed them. I have pointed out time and again that she had only one infant/toddler at a time to handle. I have two toddlers and an infant to handle simultaneously. So, the only way I can do justice to all of them is by making them independent enough to eat on their own and not waste everyone's time by taking an hours running around to feed. We use the saved up time effectively by indulging in rhymes and games. Isn't that the way to go? Justify as much as I can, it still doesn't erase the sprinkling of doubt that...could they be right? Will my children feel less attached to me and their dad because of this? I don't think so, but......

9 comments:

~nm said...

I've always believed in instincts and gut feels. If you feel its right go for it even if it means being a rebel to others.

And I think you are doing such a wonderful job. Just keep doing it and all will be fine. rest leave to destiny! Whatever has to happen will happen. I know it sounds very philosophical but this is one thing that I truly and strongly believe in.

~nm said...

I've always believed in instincts and gut feels. If you feel its right go for it even if it means being a rebel to others.

And I think you are doing such a wonderful job. Just keep doing it and all will be fine. rest leave to destiny! Whatever has to happen will happen. I know it sounds very philosophical but this is one thing that I truly and strongly believe in.

the mad momma said...

hey Krishnapriya!!!!! Congratulations!! God bless you, you brave woman for going through the second pregnancy so soon.. your hands are full i can see...

what have you decided to name the little one?

and no.. i dont think the boys are going to mind ... They seem to have settled in peacefully. they have each other for company which is more than my son does.. and he sleeps alone too... we had a period in between when we brought him back to our bedroom but he is back in his own bed now and sleeps better and doesnt fuss at all...

all the best.. i know your hands are full but i look foward to reading more soon!

http://thebratthebeanandbedlam.wordpress.com

Cee Kay said...

WOW! You have twins and an infant and you work from home?? Hats off to you!

Don't fret about all this. Your parents did what they felt was right and you are doing it the way you feel is right. Both ways are "right" as long as the kids are happy - which I am sure yours are. I have the same difference in parenting styles with my in-laws and now that my daughter is 9, I can say confidently that my way WAS right. Heck, even my MIL says so now :)

IBH said...

hey.....came here late.....wish you all a very very happy new year..and she is a doll...all worth it KP...

Asha said...

Your kids will thank you, I am sure. Even I hate running after kids to feed them, nursing them whenever they want etc. It is just not the way. I would say that this will only spoil them. So, go ahead, you are doing great!

Hari said...

Affordability (Materially, and otherwise)..

Some mom's have to / cannot do many things while some needn't or can..

None, however, intend to sever the bond..

But all, definitely, accept that such is life. Bringing up children requires nothing apart from the institution of family. (And still, I'm sure there are some pretty rocking kids out there without one)

There'll never be a 'How to' book or a '101 ways to' for that matter.. The child always grows up to be, never grown up to be someone.. Be yourself and spend as much time with them as life allows it, and they will grow to be who they have to grow to be..

All that requires from your end, is faith.. God Bless..

Krishnapriya said...

Thank you, guys. Its the guilt that I feel sad about. As anyone else, I love my mom to no end and it hurts me that I have to fight with her all the way to do anything for my kids. It just doesn't feel good that I am able to have my own way (tho I do know that I am right) when mom gets hurt in the process. But then again, she has raised her kids the way she wanted, so, I too deserve the chance to do it my way, right?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been reading your blog for quite a long time. Your personal experience and struggles with pcos struck a chord with me, since that is what I am going through. Its lovely to see your family happy and complete now.